Read the Salvation Plan and What We Believe...
HISTORY OF FAIRPORT BAPTIST CHURCH
Prior to 1872 the Baptists of this community worshipped at the Fairfields Meeting House in Burgess, which later became Fairfields Baptist Church – the mother Church of Fairport.
Due to primitive road conditions and limited means of traveling to Burgess, the growing community of Fairport organized its own Sunday School about 1875. The early services were held in the open, and later a brush arbor was erected for protection against the elements.
In 1877, a parcel of land was given by Nelson S. Woodhull on which to build a meeting house to worship God. The cornerstone of Fairport Chapel was laid in the year 1878.
In 1886, letters of transfer were granted to all members of Fairfields who desired to establish membership at Fairport, and begin their own church. The first minutes of Fairport Baptist Church read, “Fairport Baptist Church was organized January 15, 1887.”
In 1904, the plans to construct the church building were culminated. The building was dedicated in June 1908.
In December of 2000, Pastor Neale Schools and his wife, Mae came to Fairport. Since then, the church has grown both in membership and faith in Christ. Through the years, we have established many new ministries, such as a great youth ministry which includes Vacation Bible School, Bible studies, camps, evangelistic retreats, mission trips such as Eagle Erie and Nags Head beach ministries…even ski trips.
Ladies’ ministries in the church include the WMU (which has on-going mission projects), a Precept Bible study class, prayer coffees, and occasional trips to Pennsylvania for Christian plays at Sight & Sound Theater.
Fairport has a choir and we encourage people to share the talents God has given them, whether it be through singing or playing musical instruments. Among other enjoyable activities are church picnics, shopping trips, movie and game nights including dinner.
On October 1, 2006, we celebrated the dedication of Fairport’s new addition. This addition enlarged the Fellowship Hall, classrooms, kitchen, rest rooms and nursery.
We thank God for all He’s doing at Fairport Baptist Church.